Friday, November 21, 2008

My heart breaks...

Our little guy Aiden needs glasses, or so the optometrist says. We're not sure if he does or not b/c he doesn't show any signs of needing them - has never complained about not seeing, we just took the boys in for a regular check up and came out with a surprise. We just picked up his glasses this week and he has been wearing them for about two hours a day (when we remember). The frustrating thing is that he can't seem to tell us if they help him or not. And we're confused b/c at the eye docs. he told me the glasses were for close up but at Costco we were told they were for distance and THEN one day Aiden tells me they help him see better close up and the next day he said they help for distance. AHHHHHH! But my heart breaks b/c last night he was in tears for at least a half hour about having to wear them to school. He said he'll be embarrassed, didn't even know he knew what that meant. There is a little girl in his class that wears them but that's not much comfort to him. I know glasses aren't a huge deal but as a parent you don't want your child to go thru anything uncomfortable. I think we're going to get a second opinion since Aiden seems so confused. I'd love to take this from him but then I probably wouldn't be able to see at all if I added his eye problems to my own! It's sad his baby blues are a little covered but he does look cute in them - I'll post a pic. once I take it.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Awww!!! I'd say a second opinion is definitely in order. Can you shop around and get him some spider-man glasses or some other exciting character?? Might turn the anxiety into excitement if you get the right ones?

Candice said...

Well, I think that they are SUPER CUTE on him ! He did really well on Sunday with them...after all the convincing at home I'm sure !

Anonymous said...

Hey Yvonne I have been checking in on your blog since our last scrapbooking adventure - my middle daughter had to get them this summer too and we had exact same scenario - no signs she needed them and then a strong perscription for distance - but she kept not really saying if they helped or hindered... I was torn just like you - but at our 4 month check up he said her eye (rt one) had significantly improved by wearing them! More likely than not it will correct itself if she keeps being diligent. I tried to point out characters/friends that wore them and we treated it like it was really special and it has been a pretty good transition. Actually we probably emphasized too much how great they were - her older sis cried she couldn't wear some:)
Good LUCK!!! And they really are adorable - once us mommy's get over the shock:)
Tammi (Lisa's friend)

Why-Von said...

Hi Tammy - don't know if you'll check this thread again but I'm glad you shared your experience. You would think the kids would notice a difference - oh well. We are going in this week to get him looked at.