Monday, October 13, 2008

A Baxter Moment





I've just finished reading a series involving a family called the Baxters - it is a mom and dad with five adult children and it's fantastic. They aren't perfect but they have lots of fun traditions and do things all together with their kids. I know it's fiction and families aren't like that all of the time but on Sat. I would say we had a "Baxter" Moment. We went with friends down to the river near us and roasted hot dogs and marshmellows - which was so much fun but what was even more fun was the game of football keep away we all played. I'm not sure what made it so much fun - no rules, parents and kids working together, laughing, running, spontaneity but it was. The kids had so much fun and want to do it next week. I hope that as our family grows we can create traditions that they remember and love to do even when they grow up and have their own families. Right now I think that traditions are fantastic for families but need to be flexible (especially as kids grow up) and I hope that I remember that and don't get "stuck". I hope that one day our kids will want to be a part of each others lives - praying together, raising their kids together, laughing and crying together, having big family dinners together on a regular basis etc. etc.

1 comment:

Candice said...

LOVE it !! You and Rich are always doing such fun things with your kids ! They ARE going to grow up as such close friends, and don't worry, they will ALWAYS want to come home to you :o)